Part I - Application Process
- A completed online application form which includes your statement of interest. See the statement of interest prompts below. You will also be asked to identify four faculty whose research field match your interests.
- To be uploaded along with the online form. A 1-page resume with a history of all your work and laboratory experience. Please be sure to include any lab or course work that you feel is relevant. Unofficial transcripts from all colleges you have attended.
- Two letters of recommendation from a faculty advisor, course instructor, TA or employer (one who is familiar with your scientific skills). All letters must be submitted online by the letter writer and are due by the application deadline.
Statement of Interest Prompt (for UCSB students)
Write a concise essay using the following prompts. Your statement of interest should be no more than 8,000 characters and include all of the following information:
- Discuss why you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree.
- Describe your educational background and achievements providing information on barriers (educational, social, and/or cultural) you may have personally faced and how you overcame them. For example, if your family members experienced barriers in higher education, whether you are the first person in your family to go to college, and whether you have experienced a lack of role models or informational resources about higher education and careers.
- Briefly discuss your commitment to addressing educational, social, and/or cultural barriers that prevent participation from underrepresented groups in graduate programs.
- Briefly describe your research area of interest. This need not be based on research that you have done or are currently doing. We simply want to understand what areas interest you.
- Be sure to include mention of participation in undergraduate achievement programs (CAMP, MESA, McNair, MEP, SIMS, INSET, etc.).
- Please expand upon these components and share any additional information you feel is relevant to your unique personal or education history.
- Note: If you are currently involved in or have participated in undergraduate research, please also include a brief description of that research project, no more than 3000 characters long.
Second Summer Online Application (for non-UCSB UCLEADS scholars)
Part II - Application Process
April 4, 2014, by 5:00 PM PST
Two letters of recommendation from a faculty advisor, course instructor, TA or employer (one who is familiar with your scientific skills). All letters must be submitted online by the letter writer and are due by the application deadline. If you are a UCLEADS applicant from another UC campus, you need only submit ONE letter and it MUST come from your current research faculty advisor.
Please provide your letter writers with the following link:
Part III - Application Process (after selection)
To be completed after you have been selected for the program.
- A 1-page project proposal that you have arranged with your research sponsor. The proposal should include:
- Background information about the research area
- A specific discussion of the activities you will be doing in your research project
- A letter of support from your research sponsor indicating their support of your project. Your lab mentor should also be identified in this letter.
All Materials Must Be Submitted To
Arica Lubin, Ph.D.
Note: ALL correspondence with applicants will be via email, including award decisions.